Bins and Barrels
The Sanitary Engineering Department has compost bins and rain barrels for sale.
The compost bin is called The Earth Machine. It is a recycled plastic shell that attaches to the ground. It holds a cubic yard of material. An informational booklet comes with the compost bin.
• Provides excellent soil amendment for a healthier garden, lawn and house plants
• Home Composting Handbook included with each Earth Machine
• Takes as little as 10 minutes a week
• Reduces use of artificial fertilizers and pesticides
• Can Reduce gardening water bill by 30%
• Can reduce garbage by 30%
• Big enough for a family of five
The cost for compost bin is $42 and the rain barrel is $70.
The rain barrel has a brand name of the Systern. The systern holds 55 gallons of water. Conserve municipal water supply and cut household water bills by up to 40%. Rain water, free from chlorine and water treatment chemicals, is an excellent water source for lawns, plants and gardens. The use of rain barrels lowers municipal water demands and saves energy at water treatment facilities by reducing water pollution and storm water runoff.