Household Hazardous Waste Program
Please note that there are costs to residents for this program.
Only Household Hazardous Waste that is generated by citizens of Miami County will be accepted at the Miami County Drop-off Events.
Hazardous waste generated from any commercial/industrial process will not be accepted at these events.
Starting May 1st, there will be a monthly program on the first Wednesday of each month.
The event will be at the Sanitary Engineering Facility at 2200 N. County Road 25-A in Troy.
Call 440-3488 for questions.
Materials taken include:
- Paint cans (latex and acrylic). Aerosol cans of paint are also taken.
Note: Paints can be dried if mixed with kitty litter or sawdust and put in the regular trash. As long as the paint is in a solid form, it is not considered hazardous. If paint cans are empty, they can also be put into the regular trash.
Also, please refer to the Household Paint Program tab under the Transfer Station
- Pool chemicals
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Household cleaners
- Varnishes and Stains
- Transmission Fluid
- Unknown chemicals
Materials NOT taken:
- Medical Wastes
- Commercial Hazardous Wastes
- Needles, Syringes & other Sharps
Please call 440-3488 if you have any questions on materials.
Procedures for Packing and Transporting Household Hazardous Waste
- Keep products in their original containers. Do not mix products. Make sure lids are tightly sealed. Label materials that are not in their original containers.
- Place leaking containers in a larger, plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Secure products upright in cardboard box so that they do not tip over in transport.
- Transport products in the back of a pickup truck or in a car trunk. Ensure adequate ventilation if transported in car passenger compartment.
- Keep flammables out of direct sunlight and away from sources of heat, spark, flame or ignition. Do not smoke.